Thursday, January 3, 2008

Another Delicious Dinner


One thing I really love about the South Beach Diet is that I never leave the table feeling hungry and I always have something zesty and delicious for a main course. I do want to state up front that I do not count calories or weigh my portions. Dr Agatston says upfront in his book that you should eat normal portions. Now, granted in my house, "normal" is probably bigger than in other people's houses, but since we're focusing on eating good well balanced meals and developing good eating habits.... He says (and I couldn't say it better) that nothing undermines a diet more than being hungry. So some people will lose weight faster than I did the first time, and probably this time too, but I know it will stay off and that every once in a while, when I over do...holidays, vacations, moving...it won't take very much effort to regroup. So now on to ...


...tonight's dinner, which was a simple Zesty Chicken Meatloaf and because no bread, pasta, rice or potatoes are allowed during Phase One I couldn't use breadcrumbs or oatmeal to keep it moist, which normally would make my meatloafs very dry.


But this time I used a new product I found at the supermarket...it's a Fresh Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto in a resealable pouch by Marvini (product of Canada according to the label). A little goes a long way and since I don't count calories, it was just what I needed. As for ingredients: canola oil, sun-dried tomatoes, almonds, fresh purple basil, romano cheese,sea salt, fresh garlic, concentrated lemon juice and fresh mixed herbs.


So add a simple salad (Romaine Hearts, Cucumber, Spanish Onion & Pecorino Cheese Salad) and life is good -even on a diet.


Related links:

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Looks great! I've been wanting meatloaf lately... and I'm definitely *gulp* considering going on South Beach (seriously, I love my carbs and white flour so much... but I'm starting to feel puffy, and I can't find anything else to blame.)

african vanielje said...

That is definitely delicious Ruth and the Sundried tomato pesto is inspired. Happy New Year to you and your family. I look forward to many more yummy recipes from you in 2008

Ruth Daniels said...

Tanya, the meatloaf is really tasty and as for carbs...I am certainly craving some right now. One more week to go before that happens though.

African Vanielje, the sundried tomato pesto is so yummy, I added a dollop to some beaten eggs to make my omelet this morning.

Happy New Year to both of you and I'm looking forward to all your tasty recipes too!

test it comm said...

Sun dried tomato pesto would make a meatloaf really amazing!