Friday, November 23, 2007

Rescue Ideas for Too Spicy Soups

Yesterday I sent out an S.O.S. for someone to Save Our Soup. And so many people responded with advice. I mean....look how beautiful the soup is, I couldn't bear to throw it out. And I'm sure there are some of you out there that would love this Chorizo, Tomato & Beet Green Soup just the way it is. But we're wimps, so here were some ideas should you find yourself in the same situation:
  • Add cream or sour cream, dairy cuts the heat
  • Dilute with more chicken broth, which would certainly work if you added enough, but then you might have to feed your entire neighborhood!
  • Add some mashed potato
  • Spritz some lime juice before serving.
In the end, I chose to mash a large sweet potato (I thought the flavors of the herbs, tomatoes, and chorizo married well with the sweetness of the yams) and because I didn't want the soup too thick, I also added about a cup of chicken broth.

The spritz of lime juice in the bowl was an added plus. In fact, I'm adding that to the original recipe. It was perfect.

Of course the best advice - when trying out a new sausage, saute a small amount and TASTE before adding the entire batch to your soup, stew or pasta.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. And since these tips are too good to keep to myself, I'll cross-posting to AskRuth.

Related links:

No comments: