Monday, August 13, 2007

First Home Cooked Meal in our New Home - Shrimps & Scallops

It's hard to believe, but last night was the first meal I've cooked in our new home. Several days of wall to wall boxes and several more of a giant mess meant lots of eating out. In fact, it's the first dinner I've made in quite a while. It seems like sandwiches, fast food and take out pizza have been all we've been eating for weeks.

Truth is, I still haven't quite got my groove back. But our home will be fantastic once I figure out where to put everything and I did get to shop at the Farmer's Market on Saturday and picked up some lovely fresh scallops and jumbo shrimps plus all sorts of fresh herbs and lovely tender greens.

Yesterday fortunately I did find my big skillet so the shrimp & scallop sauteed up brilliantly although I did have to find a makeshift spatula.

The salad consisted of tender baby beet leaves and stems, lots of fresh oregano and basil with a handful of fresh plump blueberries thrown in for good measure just because the deep blue of the berries and the magenta of the beet greens made a perfect marriage. I even think I'm getting the hang of using the fantastic natural light to help my photographs.

I also think with tons of fresh basil and oregano, it's perfect for Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging Event. Zorra from Kochtopf is hosting and I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with this week.

Sauteed Scallops & Shrimp on a Blueberry & Tender Greens Salad

Related links:

15 comments:

Ferdzy said...

Oh wow, that looks so good.

Congratulations on a successful move - sounds like it's all downhill (in a good way) from here - hope so!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am so glad you are in your new home. The best part about moving is when it is all done. As I've mentioned before I do like to organize the kitchen though. Does that make me compulsive???I'm sure yopu will have many more wonderful meals in your new home filled with laughter and friendship.

Anonymous said...

congrats on your new home! The dinner looks wonderful...I love blueberries in salad..and walnuts..and bleu cheese. ;)

Katie Zeller said...

Nice to be settled - kind of!
Your salad is lovely.. I love the purple 'greens'... and those scallops.... Yum!

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks all for dropping by.

It is all looking good, but just a bit frustrating trying to find a home for everything. The person who designed the units was not a cook!!!!

Jim said...

Congrats on the successful move and the lovely meal!

Kalyn Denny said...

Ruth, how wonderful that you're starting to cook again. I haven't moved for quite a while, but ten years ago I completely gutted my house and remodeled it, so I remember how hard it was to decide just where things should go. Be sure to stop and have a glass of wine or something tasty to nibble when you're getting too stressed! Look forward to more good recipes from your new kitchen.

Anonymous said...

So simple yet gorgeous! Man, don't you love it when that happens? I also love the combination of shrimp and scallops. Thanks for sharing!

Truffle said...

Ruth that looks fabulous! Just wanted to check did you get my PPN entry for this week?

Katie B. said...

Looks fantastic, Ruth! Welcome back to the kitchen! :)

s'kat said...

Those are hands down two of my favourite things to eat. Putting them together? Priceless.

Good luck on whittling down the supply of boxes.

Nora B. said...

Isn't it wonderful to finally be able to cook a meal in your new house? And this is such a delicious looking dish.

test it comm said...

Sounds like a great salad! I like the seafood, salad and berry combination.

Ruth Daniels said...

To everyone...it IS wonderful to really cook meals in our new home. I'm still missing a few things. Hopefully they're in a box and I didn't sell them in our garage sale in Toronto.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your getting settled in your new home! I love your choice of your first meal.