Saturday, January 20, 2007

Another Day of Nourishing Meals

I'm finally feeling better and am actually thinking about food. Not just thinking of eating chicken soup, but actually thinking about preparing some interesting dishes for all of us. And, naturally, when would I cook without herbs...practically never! Which also means I'm able to be a part of Kalyn's Kitchen Weekend Herb Blogging Event, hosted this week by Scott of RealEpicurean.

Our simple lunch is one of my favorites Grilled Tomato, Goat Cheese & Pesto Sandwiches with some extra basil and freshly ground black pepper. No one would wait for me to take a photo of the actual grilled sandwiches (here's the filling), so you'll have to use your imagination or click here to see a whack of different grilled cheese sandwich options. Some clementine oranges and grapes for dessert and every one is purring until dinner.

Dinner was a simple but very multi-cultural affair. One of the reasons I love to visit with my daughter is her collection of cookbooks. Although we cook in a similar style (use books as a jumping off point and adding a bit of this and that to make it our own) she cooks way more Asian and Middle Eastern inspired dishes and her cookbooks reflect that. This time I chose a couple of interesting books. We started with a soup from One-Pot Cooking - Moroccan Carrot Soup with Chermoula (think a cool variation on pesto or chimichurri) which has cilantro (just for Kalyn) instead of basil or parsley plus lots of garlic and lemon juice too.

Next up was a variation of Curried Lamb & Pumpkin Koftas (I made hamburger patties instead of balls on skewers) from The Pumpkin & Squash Cookbook and served with Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary (from my own head instead of rice since my son-in-law is not a big fan).
How's that for making up for not participating in WHB in the last few weeks? This go around there's plenty of basil, some rosemary and cilantro. I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

Related links:

2 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Your absence the last few weeks has been completely excused! (Actually, it already was. What a great excuse!)

All these sound just great. Thanks for thinking of me with the cilantro!

Nau-Dee said...

The Grilled tomato, goat cheese and pesto sandwiches looks wonderful!