Thursday, August 10, 2006

South Beach Diet Friendly Cannelloni


First things first...Thank God for the South Beach Diet!!! Since all I seem to be doing (whether for the cookbook or the blog) is eating or writing about eating, I would probably have to be rolled around in a wheelbarrow without it. So the other day, when I was taking a break from writing about food to have lunch, I flipped the TV to FoodTV (see the irony here?) and there was Giada de Laurentiis on Everyday Italian making cannelloni but instead of traditional pasta, she made her crepes without flour...just very thin omelets with lots of chopped parsley in the batter to keep it from tasting like...well, like an omelet. The filling is simply some cheese and heaps of shredded fresh basil, not to mention all the basil and oregano in the Marinara sauce.

One of the hardest things for me to give up was pasta - I'm addicted. Not to worry once you get to Phase Two since there are so many multi grain pasta choices out there, but Phase One doesn't tolerate any carbs (I felt we needed to get tough for a few days at least to compensate for trips to Montreal (although Sunday dinner was okay since there was no bread and I stayed away from the baked potato and had the smallest portion of berries) and Prince Edward County. As I was feeling sorry for myself after getting on the scale and seeing my weight climb up a couple of pounds , there was Giada making this simple dish that would both satisfy my mental hunger and not make me feel guilty. It's also a pasta dish that is gluten free for those of you who need to be careful- unbelievable.

Second, I thought this would be a perfect dish to submit to Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen for Weekend Herb Blogging especially since it's really so SBD friendly even for Phase One!!! So without further ado.....


Menu

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum!! That looks delicious. I love cannelloni!

Kalyn Denny said...

Ruth, this sounds delicious. I know what you mean about the scale creeping up a few pounds. Good thing I'm done traveling for a while.

Anonymous said...

Looks very good and the pasta sounds interesting.