Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Comfort Food Reminding Us of Home

Today’s post will have to be short. It’s one of those running around days. I’m being honored tonight with the Volunteer of the Year Award from the Canadian Society of Training & Development. So naturally I have to get my hair done. A delicious bean and chorizo sausage chili is in the oven already – I need a photo for the cookbook and did some tweaking to the recipe for readability. But that’s not why I’m writing.

If you’ve been following my posts, you know that my daughter, Sharron is moving to Chile to teach English. Well yesterday she landed and she made it to Valparaiso, not too far from Santiago. She settled into a hostel for now and did a little wandering around town. All normal things to do….and typically so is this….she had a “yummy grilled cheese sandwich in a sweet little café”. I find it interesting that her first meal was one that most of us think of as comfort food. Not too long ago Slashfood declared a grilled cheese Monday and I had to make several different versions I love grilled cheese sandwiches so much.

I still remember eating a croque monsieur in Paris (grilled cheese and ham) and a great burger in Bora Bora. So what would you think to eat when traveling that would remind you of home and how is it different?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth--Congrats on the award, and best wishes to Sharron on her new adventure!

I'd have to say pasta with a cream sauce or a cheesy sauce would say comfort to me!

Joe said...

Thats so cool! Congrats on the award!

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks to both of you. The dinner was fun and I must say, it felt good to be appreciated.