Adapted from SuperFoods for Babies & Children
Prep time: 30 minutes
Fry/Baking time: 15 miuntes
Serves: 4 kids (2 hungry munching adults)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips about 3/4" wide - think fingers!
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (I used sharp)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko crumbs - Japanese crumbs that are coarser and crunchier)
1/2 tsp each paprika, cayenne pepper (another option could be wasaba powder)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
vegetable oil for frying
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C, line a lipped baking sheet with foil and set a rack on top. this will allow grease to drip away and keep the chicken crunchy.
2. Prepare the breading and dip the chicken pieces as follows for the coating:
- in a ziplock baggie combine the flour, paprika and cayenne
- in a dish beat the eggs
- on a plate spread a layer of well tossed breadcrumbs and cheeses
3. Heat about 1/2" of vegetable oil in a skillet and over medium high heat. Add the coated chicken pieces, leaving room between them. Turn after 3 minutes (the side should be golden) and cook the other side for another 2 minutes or so. Place the chicken on the baking sheet.
4. Continue the process until all the chicken pieces are golden. Bake for 5 minutes or so. This step is mostly to remove excess grease.
5. Drain on paper towels and serve. They're delicious as is but great with a spicy plum sauce or BBQ sauce