Sunday, August 28, 2005

Lamb BBQ Burgers, Sausages, Potato Salad, Corn on the Cob and Apple Crisp

The real reason for going to St Jacob's market yesterday was for the corn. I recently read on Stephen Cooks (one of my favorite food blogs) that corn starts to lose its sugar and sweetness the minute it's picked and that you should eat it the same day, if possible. Well corn on the cob is one of my very favorite things to eat and I have been sooooo disappointed this year. It looks great but the ones I've bought so far have had no flavor. Stephen - you are so right, the corn was delicious.

Last night's dinner with bounty from St Lawrence Market (lamb sausages from Mike's were tender, juicy and full of lamb - no filler here) and St Jacob's market (lamb burgers on onion buns), fresh corn on the cob and roasted potato salad (this time with basil instead of mint) and apple crisp (I made individual crisps in ramekins this time) with the first Fall apples, nicely tart.

I was fully prepared for major fire and smoke this time since the last time I bought sausages (different vendor, though) we were afraid the neighbors would call the fire department. Smoke billowed so badly we could hardly see each other. This time we had the trusty water sprayer handy for flare ups and was pleasantly surprised that my honey (and BBQ king) didn't need to use it at all.

Here's our menu for the evening spent with good friends.

Easy BBQ Dinner with Friends Menu

Lamb burgers and sausages in buns

Roasted Potato & Garlic salad with fresh basil

Corn on the cob
Individual Apple Crisps


Lamb Burgers

Prep time: 10 minutes
Refrigerate: 30 minutes
Broil time: 10 minutes
Makes 4 patties

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs ground lamb (I was afraid they would be too fatty and smoke up the grill, but they didn't)
1 large egg
1/4 - 1/3 cup fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 - 3/4 cup panko crumbs
juice of 1 lemon
1 large garlic clove, crushed

Directions:
1. Combine all of the above ingredients, shape into 4 patties

2. Refrigerate on a plate for at least 30 minutes so they will stay together on the grill.

3. Heat up the grill, put a little oil on the grill (I use a silicone brush - one of my favorite kitchen toys since it's so easy to clean)

4. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. DO NOT try to flip them before or they will surely fall apart. Flip and cook 3-5 minutes more depending on how rare/well done you like them.

I served mine on onion buns and used some of my favorite Kozlik mustards with slices of red onion and juicy tomatoes.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Looks like quite a feast you had! I love fresh corn and buy it as often as we can. Great pictures and thanks for the recipes - they look so good!